Volume : 3, Issue : 3, JUL 2019
NEUTRACEUTICAL: A REVIEW
Darshan, Mr. Hitesh, Dr. Bharat Parashar
Nutraceutical is regarded as the bioactive substance and natural bioactive compounds include a broad diversity of structures and functionalities that provide an excellent pool of molecules for the production of therapeutic compounds. In this article, we have a tendency to gift a review work on varied nutraceuticals found naturally beside the recent progress that has been done on them. The health promoting effects of varied styles of nutraceuticals that has been claimed is additionally enclosed during this article.
Functional foods; Nutraceuticals; Bioactive compounds; Dietary supplements.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 5
Number of Downloads : 2
- Kalra EK (2003) Nutraceutical--definition and introduction. AAPS PharmSci 5: E25.
- Jialal I, Fuller CJ (1995) Effect of vitamin E, vitamin C and beta-carotene on LDL oxidation and atherosclerosis. Can J Cardiol 11 Suppl G: 97G-103G.
- Grace E (2013) How to choose the best supplement. Health Beacon
- Ferrucci V, Boffa I, De Masi G, Zollo M (2016) Natural compounds for pediatric cancer treatment. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 389: 131-149.
- Winters M (2006) Ancient medicine, modern use: Withania somnifera and its potential role in integrative oncology. Altern Med Rev 11: 269-277.
- Palliyaguru DL, Singh SV, Kensler TW (2015) Withania somnifera: from prevention to treatment of cancer. Mol Nutr Food Res.
- Assi M, Derbré F, Lefeuvre-Orfila L, Rébillard A (2016) Antioxidant supplementation accelerates cachexia development by promoting tumor growth in C26 tumor-bearing mice. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 91: 204-214.
- Fraser SP, Hemsley F, Djamgoz MB (2015) Caffeic acid phenethyl ester:
- Amjad AI, Parikh RA, Appleman LJ, Hahm ER, Singh K, et al. (2015) BroccoliDerived Sulforaphane and Chemoprevention of Prostate Cancer: From Bench to Bedside. Curr Pharmacol Rep 1: 382-390.
- Bin Sayeed MS, Ameen SS (2015) Beta-Sitosterol: A Promising but Orphan Nutraceutical to Fight against Cancer. Nutr Cancer 67: 1214-1220.
- Vue B, Zhang S, Chen QH (2015) Synergistic Effects of Dietary Natural Products as Anti-Prostate Cancer Agents. Nat Prod Commun 10: 2179-2188.
- Chun OK, Floegel A, Chung SJ, Chung CE, Song WO, et al. (2009) Estimation of antioxidant intakes from diet and supplements in US adults. The Journal of nutrition 140: 317-324.
- VranesiÄ‡-Bender D (2010) The role of nutraceuticals in anti-aging medicine. Acta Clin Croat 49: 537-544.
- Katta R, Brown DN (2015) Diet and Skin Cancer: The Potential Role of Dietary Antioxidants in Nonmelanoma Skin Cancer Prevention. J Skin Cancer 2015: 893149.
- Jasiński M, Jasińska L, Ogrodowczyk M (2013) Resveratrol in prostate diseases - a short review. Cent European J Urol 66: 144-149.
- Xia N, Daiber A, Förstermann U, Li H (2016) Antioxidant effects of resveratrol in the cardiovascular system. Br J Pharmacol .
- Martinez SE, Chen Y, Ho EA, Martinez SA, Davies NM (2015) Pharmacological effects of a C-phycocyanin-based multicomponent nutraceutical in an in-vitro canine chondrocyte model of osteoarthritis. Canadian journal of veterinary research 79: 241-249.
- Bottegoni C, Muzzarelli RA, Giovannini F, Busilacchi A, Gigante A (2014) Oral chondroprotection with nutraceuticals made of chondroitin sulphate plus glucosamine sulphate in osteoarthritis. Carbohydr Polym 109: 126-138.
- Notarnicola A, Maccagnano G, Moretti L, Pesce V, Tafuri S, et al. (2015) Methylsulfonylmethane and boswellic acids versus glucosamine sulfate in the treatment of knee arthritis: Randomized trial. International journal of immunopathology and pharmacology 29: 140-146.
- Gregory PJ, Fellner C (2014) Dietary supplements as disease-modifying treatments in osteoarthritis: a critical appraisal. P T 39: 436-452.
- Carretero OA, Oparil S (2000) Essential hypertension. Part I: definition and etiology. Circulation 101: 329-335.
- Sirtori CR, Arnoldi A, Cicero AF (2015) Nutraceuticals for blood pressure control. Ann Med 47: 447-456.
- San CW, Ngai CY, Tam YY, Tian XY, Wong WT, et al. (2015) Black tea protects against hypertension-associated endothelial dysfunction through alleviation of endoplasmic reticulum stress. Scientific reports 5: 10340.
- Blondeau N (2016) The nutraceutical potential of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid in reducing the consequences of stroke. Biochimie 120: 49-55.
- Liu RH (2003) Health benefits of fruit and vegetables are from additive and synergistic combinations of phytochemicals. Am J Clin Nutr 78: 517S-520S.
- Viuda-Martos M, Sanchez-Zapata E, Sayas-Barberá E, Sendra E, PérezÁlvarez JA, et al. (2014) Tomato and tomato byproducts. Human health benefits of lycopene and its application to meat products: a review. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition 54: 1032-1049.
- Rao AV, Agarwal S (2000) Role of antioxidant lycopene in cancer and heart disease. J Am Coll Nutr 19: 563-569.
- Tsitsimpikou C, Tsarouhas K, Kioukia-Fougia N, Skondra C, Fragkiadaki P, et al. (2014) Dietary supplementation with tomato-juice in patients with metabolic syndrome: A suggestion to alleviate detrimental clinical factors. Food and Chemical Toxicology 74: 9-13.
- Srinivasan K (2005) Role of spices beyond food flavoring: Nutraceuticals with multiple health effects. Food Reviews International 21: 167-188.
- Perrone D, Ardito F, Giannatempo G, Dioguardi M, Troiano G, et al. (2015) Biological and therapeutic activities, and anticancer properties of curcumin. Exp Ther Med 10: 1615-1623.
- Boyanapalli SS, Kong AN (2015) “Curcumin, the King of Spices”: Epigenetic Regulatory Mechanisms in the Prevention of Cancer, Neurological, and Inflammatory Diseases. Current Pharmacology Reports 1: 129-139.
- . Yallapu MM, Nagesh PK, Jaggi M, Chauhan SC (2015) Therapeutic Applications of Curcumin Nanoformulations. AAPS J 17: 1341-1356.
- Jan AT, Kamli MR, Murtaza I, Singh JB, Ali A, et al. (2010) Dietary flavonoid quercetin and associated health benefits—an overview. Food Reviews International 26: 302-317.
- Fernando WM, Martins IJ, Goozee KG, Brennan CS, Jayasena V, et al. (2015) The role of dietary coconut for the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer's disease: potential mechanisms of action. Br J Nutr 114: 1-14.
- Korhonen H (2009) Milk-derived bioactive peptides: From science to applications. Journal of Functional Foods 1: 177-187.
- Patel S (2015) Emerging trends in nutraceutical applications of whey protein and its derivatives. J Food Sci Technol 52: 6847-6858.
- Meisel H (1997) Biochemical properties of regulatory peptides derived from milk proteins. Biopolymers 43: 119-128.
- Silva SV, Malcata FX (2005) Caseins as source of bioactive peptides. International Dairy Journal 15: 1-5.
- Kreft M (2016) Buckwheat phenolic metabolites in health and disease. Nutr Res Rev 5: 1-10.
- Kilari EK, Putta S (2016) Biological and Phytopharmacological Descriptions of Litchi Chinensis. Pharmacogn Rev 10: 60-65.
- Stojilikovic D, Arsic I, Tadic V (2016) Extracts of wild apple fruit (Malus Sylvestris) as a source of antioxidant substances for use in production of nutraceuticals and comoceuticals. Industrial Crops and Products 80: 165-176.
- Abdul QA, Choi RJ, Jung HA, Choi JS (2016) Health benefit of fucosterol from marine algae: a review. J Sci Food Agric 96: 1856-1866.
- Georgiev V, Ananga A, Tsolova V (2016) Dietary Supplements/Nutraceuticals Made from Grapes and Wines. In: Wine Safety, Consumer Preference, and Human Health. Springer International Publishing, USA.
- Prasanth Kumar PK, Sai Manohar R, Indiramma AR, Gopala Krishna AG (2014) Stability of oryzanol fortified biscuits on storage. J Food Sci Technol 51: 2552-2559.
- Maćkowiak K, Torlińska-Walkowiak N, Torlińska B (2016) Dietary fibre as an important constituent of the diet. Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online) 70: 104-109.
- Kimura Y, Sumiyoshi M (2009) Olive leaf extract and its main component oleuropein prevent chronic ultraviolet B radiation-induced skin damage and carcinogenesis in hairless mice. J Nutr 139: 2079-2086.
- Kim YG, Sumiyoshi M, Kawahira K, Sakanaka M, Kimura Y (2008) Effects of Red Ginseng extract on ultraviolet B-irradiated skin change in C57BL mice. Phytother Res 22: 1423-1427.
- Tao Y, Li W, Liang W, Van Breemen RB (2009) Identification and Quantification of Gingerols and Related Compounds in Ginger Dietary Supplements Using High-Performance Liquid Chromatography- Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 57: 10014-10021.
- Haniadka R, Rajeev AG, Palatty PL, Arora R, Baliga MS (2012) Zingiber officinale (ginger) as an anti-emetic in cancer chemotherapy: a review. J Altern Complement Med 18: 440-444.
- Kapoor V, Aggarwal S, Das SN (2016) 6-Gingerol Mediates its Anti-Tumor Activities in Human Oral and Cervical Cancer Cell Lines through Apoptosis and Cell Cycle Arrest. Phytotherapy research 30: 588-595.
- Basu SK, Thomas JE, Acharya SN (2007) Prospects for growth in global nutraceutical and functional food markets: a Canadian perspective. Aust J Basic Appl Sci 1: 637-649.